The Company is aware of its obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and is committed to processing your data securely and transparently. This privacy notice sets out, in line with GDPR, the types of data that we hold on you as a job applicant. It also sets out how we use that information, how long we keep it for and other relevant information about your data.
You should share this notice with anyone where you have provided us with their personal information.
This note only applies to the personal data of job applicants and potential candidates and relates to all companies within the Group. It does not apply to our existing employees, contractors or clients, or other data collected for other purposes.
As used in this Privacy Notice, “personal data” means information that identifies job applicants and potential candidates for employment with us, either as part of the application through the website and/or through alternative channels (e.g. recruitment agencies or online job boards).
By submitting your personal data to us, you acknowledge that:
- You have read and understood this Privacy Notice and agree to the use of your personal data as set out herein.
- You are not required to provide any requested information to us, but failing to do so may result in the Company not being able to further process your application.
- All of your representations are true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief, and you have not knowingly omitted any related information of an adverse nature. Providing any inaccurate information may make you ineligible for employment.
- The Privacy Notice does not form part of any contract of employment offered to candidates hired by Streamline Shipping Group.
Data controller details
The Company is a data controller, meaning that it determines how the personal data that it holds will be used. Should you have any queries about how we process your data, please contact email@example.com
Data protection principles
In relation to your personal data, we will:
- Process it fairly, lawfully and in a clear, transparent way.
- Collect your data only for reasons that we find proper for the course of your employment in ways that have been explained to you.
- Only use it in the way that we have told you about.
- Ensure it is correct and up to date.
- Keep your data for only as long as we need it.
- Process it in a way that ensures it will not be used for anything that you are not aware of or have consented to (as appropriate), lost or destroyed.
Why we need your data
The law on data protection allows us to process your data for certain reasons only:
- in order to confirm the terms and conditions of an employment contract
- in order to meet our legal obligations as an potential employer
- where there is a legitimate interest
- to protect your interest and
- where something is done in the public interest
All of the processing carried out by us falls into one of the permitted reasons. Generally, we will rely on the first three reasons set out above to process your data.
We need to collect your data to ensure we are complying with legal requirements such as:
- carrying out checks in relation to your right to work in the UK and
- driving licence entitlements
We also collect data so that we can carry out activities which are in the legitimate interests of the Company. We have set these out below:
- making decisions about who to offer employment to
- making decisions about salary and other benefits
What information do we collect about you?
We collect personal data directly from you such as your name, address, contact information, work and educational history, achievements and references.
How we collect your data
We collect data about you in a variety of ways including the information you would normally include in a CV or a job application cover letter, or notes made by our recruiting managers during a recruitment interview. Further information will be collected directly from you when you complete forms at the start of your employment, for example, your bank and next of kin details. Other details may be collected directly from you in the form of official documentation such as your driving licence, passport or other right to work evidence.
In some cases, we will collect data about you from third parties, such as employment agencies and former employers when gathering references.
Personal data is kept in personnel files within the Company’s HR system.
How long we keep your data
If you accept an offer of employment by Streamline Shipping Group, any relevant data collected during your pre-employment period will become part of your personnel records and will be retained during your employment in accordance with the employee privacy statement. If we do not employ you, unless you desire otherwise, we may continue to retain and use your personal data for a period of 6 months to consider you for potential future roles.
If you do not provide your data to us
One of the reasons for processing your data is to allow us to carry out an effective recruitment process. Whilst you are under no obligation to provide us with your data, if you do not, we may not be able to process your application.
Sharing your data
Your data will be shared with colleagues within the Company where it is necessary for them to undertake their duties with regard to recruitment. This includes for example, the HR department and those in the department where the vacancy is and who are responsible for screening your application and interviewing you.
We do not share data with bodies outside of the European Economic Area.
- The right to request details of the information we have about you. This should be done by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The right to withdraw your consent to the use of your information where we are relying on consent. Please note that we may still be entitled to process your information if we have another legitimate reason (other than consent) for doing so. Where your consent has been required and given, you have the right to withdraw it at any time by writing to email@example.com.
- In some circumstances, you have the right to receive some of your information in a usable format and/or request we transmit that data to a third party where this technically feasible. Please note that this right only applies to information which you have provided to us.
- The right to ask that we correct your information if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to ask that we erase your information in certain circumstances. Please note that there may be circumstances where you ask us to erase your information but we are legally obliged to retain it.
- The right to request that we restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances. Again, there may be circumstances where you ask us to restrict the processing of your information, but we are legally obliged to refuse that request.
- The right to make a complaint with the Information Commissioner (www.ico.org.uk) if you think that any of your rights have been infringed by us.
Streamline Shipping Group reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice. By submitting your application you confirm that you have read and given your consent to our collection and processing of your data in accordance with this privacy notice.